This is more of a rant than a post. As you may or may not know, my family has inspired me to get myself in better shape. I want to be around for the long haul and still be able to enjoy it without the use of a pacemaker or walking stick to help me around, or even a wheelchair because my weight has gotten out of control. On a side note, this can also help in my retirement years by cutting down on medical expenses, but that's not the point of the post. Why is it so damn expensive to eat healthy?

Whole wheat bread, brown rice, tofu, chicken breasts, fresh veggies and fruits....this can add up to quite a pretty penny when you compare it to the alternative; chicken thighs/wings, white bread white rice, pork, canned veggies. I also lift weights so a tub of protein powder can run as much as $50. My big question is why the price difference? Whole wheat bread should be easier to manufacturer since the grain does not have to go through as much processing as white bread does, same with brown vs. white rice. Fresh veggies are just plucked and shipped (washed of course), while canned veggies require canning, adding preservatives and so on and so forth. It's like (and I hate to saying or hearing this statement) the system is against us. Almost as if you are being pushed towards less healthy, cheaper alternatives, to keep you nice and plump.

The battle of the bulge can be an expensive fight, keep your eyes and ears open for sales and stock up when you find a good one. I refuse to let the system win and conform, join me in the revolution, it will not be televised :)

Thanks for reading

I Love you Baby

8 comments:

  1. L. Marie Joseph said...

    I must agree, I went to Whole Foods, supermarket and was amazed with all the organic stuff and the fresh seafood and vegatables they carry.

    However, I was not satisfied with the total at the register. I paid $7+ dollars just for a fruit salad bowl.

    It's cheaper to grill a hotdog on my George Foreman grill. LOL  

  2. Anonymous said...

    I love the concept of Whole Foods, but I don't shop there. I am still not at the point where my foods and cleaning products are as healthy as I'd like them to be, because unhealthy is not only cheaper, it's more convenient. I think you're right - we ARE pushed toward unhealthy things.

    Shopping at the farmer's markets can help, though. I'm working that into my routine. Buying meat in bulk packs and repackaging it into smaller portions once you get it home can help, too. At Reading Terminal here in Philly, you can get fresh butcher cuts and fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices affordably. There should be some place like that near you, right?  

  3. Rad said...

    haha

    I love me some George Foreman :)

    Besides the Farmer's Market, we don;t have too many options out here in my neck of the woods. Of course we are swamped with fruit stands but you have to be caerful since all of them sell fresh stuff  

  4. Constance Burris said...

    Yep, eating healthy is expensive. I can do eating healthy at home but it's also more expensive to eat healthy at fast food restaurants, grilled chicken and fish costs more than the fattening burgers.  

  5. Trisha#1 said...

    My theory on the price difference between wheat and white has more to do with economies of scale, rather than which takes a lesser amount of processing. Basically, more people buy white bread, so it's cheaper to manufacture each loaf.

    But, it's no joke! Healthy foods cost a small fortune! It's another reason why wealthier people are healthier--they can afford to be! Or, is that healthier people are wealthier? The chicken or the egg? I don't know which.

    Hey, thanks for the link! I have just discovered your blog and really enjoy it!  

  6. Anonymous said...

    Our food expenditures jumped considerably when we committed to healthy, organic food. I know it takes more money to produce food without pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics, hormones... despite the savings when they don't have to buy all these chemicals. But I agree, I think we pay a premium that is above and beyond the extra cost to produce organically.

    I remind myself that eating healthy will pay off in the long run - sort of like spending less now to save for the future. I watched my mom die a slow painful death from blood cancer. The only cause the doctors could pinpoint was her lifelong exposure to "everyday" chemicals.

    Preventative care costs $$$$, but it sure beats the alternative!  

  7. Shasta MacNasty said...

    I agree with you. It's tragic that it's fiscally difficult for people to eat food that is good for them. Personally, I plan my meals ahead of time, buy in bulk, then cook everything, put it in individual containers, put them in the freezer. Done. This saves me a lot of time, money, and energy. I also rediscovered the joys of steel-cut oatmeal and black beans. Black beans especially are ridiculously high in protein and fiber. I try to use fresh ingredients as much as possible to control salt and sugar. Another trick? For cereal, I keep a 1/2 cup measure in the box so I measure out an exact serving. I've noticed this has helped my cereal and other foods last a lot longer. :)

    Bottom line: I try to eat healthy, not perfect, while keeping an eye on my budget.  

  8. Rad said...

    Thank you all fo your comments. Trisha thanks for finally stopping by, I've been reading your blog for a while now trying to learn more about Real Estate Investing, you do a great job of sharing your experiences. Kahnee and Millionaire Mommy, you both make good points. Eating out and eating healthy don't really mix, and our food budget has swollen a little since trying to go organic/healthy. You are right in that is an investment in oneself, like you make small sacrifices to invest a little money in the market for future security. This is the same concept but ith no financial payoff, you wil be healthy enough to enjoy your retirement though :)

    Shasta, I'll give that a try as it sounds simple and useful, I tend to make oatmeal in big portions since I share with the piglet (awwww) thanks for the visit and the comment.  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.